Sunday, September 6, 2009

THE CHURCH IN THE WILDWOOD

Come to the church in the wildwood

Oh, come to the church in the dale.

No spot is so dear to my childhood

as the little brown church in the vale.


I made this little church (and it's stained glass windows) tonight and placed a battery-operated candle inside. Standing back to look at it, I was reminded of the church that I attended as a child. It was tall (or it seemed tall to me), narrow, and white--like this one. My mother played the piano for years so, when I got old enough, I joined the choir which seemed quite fitting since I always had to go to choir practice with her. One thing that I loved about that country church were the old hymns, and "The Church in the Wildwood" was one of my favorites! So many churches have thrown out the old hymnals, which I think is a big mistake! Don't get me wrong . . . I enjoy many new Christian songs that are played on the radio--I just really liked the "old" hymns in church. Even though my country church was torn down, re-built years ago, and looks nothing like this one, the little white church in the vale will always be dear to my childhood.

No comments: