Friday, February 11, 2011

"FREESTYLE FRIDAYS" CANDLE/CARD ENSEMBLE


With her Freestyle Fridays post last week, Julie issued a mission for me to decorate a candle and a coordinating card, and so I did!  When I first read about the mission, I knew instantly that I'd be using a strip of embossed metal.  Upon searching my stash of alterable/to-be-decorated-sometime-during-my-lifetime assorted items, this green candle was the only color I could find.  At first, I wondered why I would buy this color, but then I started looking at my assorted colors of metal and found that several of them looked really nice with the green.  I cut the strip of metal at 2" x 11" and wondered how I would get a continuous embossed image on it.  I decided to use a craft knife to cut a slit in the fold of the "Vintage Wallpaper" embossing folder, and this enabled the metal strip to slide through the folder very easily.  Cutting a slit in the  fold of the embossing folder apparently didn't compromise the integrity and function of the folder because I've used it several times since and had no issues--can hardly tell that it's been cut!  I tied Very Vanilla taffeta ribbon around the metal, adhered it to the candle (using straight pins), and added some pearl jewels.  For the card, I began with a Very Vanilla base and used the Eyelet Border punch along the right side and then folded the card so that the punched edge would be exposed.  I embossed two rows of tulips along the bottom of the Pear Pizzazz card stock with the "Framed Tulips" embossing folder, placed a strip of Rich Razzleberry ribbon between them, and then adhered this layer to the card.  The Decorative Label punched shape was embossed with the "Vintage Wallpaper" folder, and I accented this shape with a 3/4" circle punched from a leftover scrap of the metal.  All in all, this was a relatively simple project with just enough visual interest.  Rich Razzleberry has been a favorite color of mine since I first laid eyes on it, and I think it gets all the attention it deserves paired with the Pear Pizzazz and Very Vanilla.  Thank you, Julie, for presenting such a fun mission!

2 comments:

Mickie said...

Very ingenious and such a pretty piece of artwork!

Jayne Stenstrom said...

These are GORGEOUS! I love, love, love what you did! This would make such a wonderful gift and card to give as a gift. Thanks for sharing!