Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE WORLD STOPPED TURNING?

It's hard to believe that it's been ten years since the horrible attack on America and the security that anyone my age (or younger) had always taken for granted.  On the morning of September 11, 2001, I had taken my son to school and was listening to the radio in the bathroom as I styled my hair.  When I heard that a plane had crashed into one of the WTC towers, I thought, with a feeling of safe distance, how terrible.  When it was announced that another airplane had crashed into the second tower, I thought that it had to be more than just a tragic coincidence.  It was time to turn the TV to CNN and, as the other events unfolded, I couldn't imagine what was going on--or what would happen next.  Living next to a nuclear station, I decided to go back to my son's school and bring him home since there was speculation that, among other places, nuclear plants were possible targets for attack.  Shortly after I picked up my son, his school went into lockdown, and I was so glad that I had picked him up when I did.  For days after September 11th, I felt so sad for the families who had no word about their loved ones, and my heart still goes out to them . . . 10 years later.  I think that I will never forget the apparent desperation of the many people who taped, to dusty windows and wooden posts, photos and info of their loved ones.  On this anniversary of 9/11, I decided to create this project, which I turned into a magnet.  Stampin' Up! products used to create this project include:  Simply Scored scoring board, "Frostwood Lodge" designer paper, rhinestone jewels, star punches, 3-1/2" circle die, designer button, Baker's twine, Cherry Cobbler seam binding, and vellum card stock.  Wherever you were when the world stopped turning, I'm sure you haven't forgotten--and never will.  And we shouldn't.  Ever.

5 comments:

Mary Brown said...

Beautiful Regina! Thanks for sharing with us!

Connie Babbert said...

Beautiful, Regina, I love this medallion magnet! Thanks for sharing your tribute and remembrance with us on Create with Connie and Mary.

Debbie Henderson said...

What a great project you created and thanks for joining us for this tribute at Create with Connie & Mary!

Carrie Gaskin said...

This is stunning. I thank you for sharing this tribute piece with us at CCMC and for sharing your thoughts and your story.

Deb said...

This is gorgeous! I love this idea! Thank you for sharing with us at Create with Connie and Mary!