Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A "SEW" SPECIAL THANK YOU

A really special "thank you" card was needed for my parents, and I had "sew" much fun making this one!  Yes, I know that my sewing has a very amateur, juvenile look to it (something only parents can love and appreciate), but this was just my second attempt at sewing on my new machine.  I come from a family of women who REALLY know how to sew and--let me just shoot straight here--they examine the quality of stitches.  These women are whizzes with needle and thread . . . they can make the most beautiful clothes, quilts, curtains, bags/purses, aprons, Barbie doll clothes, etc.  For all I know, they can tell whether quality thread has been used!  Speaking of thread, do you have any idea how many choices there are?  When I ordered my sewing machine, I knew that I should get a spool, and it took a long time to select that one spool of white thread.  I was so excited for the arrival of my sewing machine, but it was disappointing to find out that my one spool of thread was shipped separately so I had to wait two days before I could start playing.  I was proud of myself for being able to wind a bobbin and thread the machine (after watching a video about five times and also referring to the manual).  All of my life, I have thought that it took a genius to thread a machine--to me, it always looked like a series of pinched thread and quick wrist movements to the left, right, up, down (not necessarily in that order), spin in the chair, and ready to go.  My first attempt at sewing all the way around a piece of card stock wasn't too bad.  The corners showed signs of inexperience, and there was a glob of thread where reverse stitching should have happened if only I had moved the card stock.  For some reason, I thought the machine would grab the card stock and do what needed to be done.  Duh!  With the sewing for this card, I was just happy that all of the stitches did, indeed, stay on the card stock.  There's hope for me!  Stampin' Up! products used to complete this card include Baja Breeze, Pear Pizzazz (I think), Crumb Cake, and Whisper White card stock, "Twitterpated" designer paper, clear heart-shaped button, Vintage Trinkets, linen thread, rhinestone jewel, MDS 2, and the digital "From My Heart" stamp brush set.  One of the exciting features of MDS 2 is the ability to color select portions of images, and I used that feature to make the heart and the words "Thank You" stand out with Soft Suede coloring while the remainder of the image was the color of Baja Breeze. 

No comments: