Sunday, March 20, 2016

SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD . . .


I don't remember where I purchased the stamp set that I used to make this card, but it's a really cute one, huh?  I've had it for quite some time and have seldom used it, but it seemed perfect for the intended recipient.  My apologies for the slightly blurry photo--I didn't realize how bad it was until after the card had been mailed.  Would the image have looked better if I had taken the time to do some blending and shading?  Of course it would, but I have learned (or maybe it's just what I tell myself) that coloring doesn't have to be a chore, and projects don't have to look like they were created by a bona fide artist.  As a matter of fact, you don't even have to have trendy, popular, and expensive markers.  You just need to desire the slow, relaxed pace of coloring--the elementary, juvenile, amateur type of creative outlet that calls for whatever you have on hand--pencils, crayons, cheap markers, or even expensive markers that you dummy down.  I have a whole stack of stamped images that I acquired in a big trade of Magnolia (and other designs) waiting to be colored, and I have had them for years.  Do you know what has stopped me from coloring them?  The dreaded task of blending and shading, trying different markers to see what blends with what, and/or having color inevitably bleed outside the line, rendering a piece that I've spent a lot of time on worthy only for the trash.  No, people, you do NOT have to go through that each time.  Color with whatever you want and go to whatever length and extreme you desire.  Keep it simple or make it museum-worthy.  Just get out those unused stamp sets and color.  The one and only requirement/demand--besides having fun--is to stay inside the lines (as much as you can).  That's a must.


No comments: